Sansum Martial Arts Ltd coaches and volunteers involved in teaching martial arts for children and young people have a great opportunity to be a positive role model and help build an individual’s confidence.
Staff and volunteers are expected to:
- Ensure the safety of all children by providing effective supervision, proper pre-planning of coaching sessions, using safe methods at all
- Consider the wellbeing and safety of participants before the development of
- Encourage and guide participants to accept responsibility for their own performance and behaviour.
- Treat all young people fairly and ensure they feel valued. Have no
- Encourage all children not to discriminate on the grounds of religious beliefs, race, gender, social classes or lack of
- Not allow any rough or dangerous play, bullying, or the use of bad language or inappropriate behaviour.
- Appreciate the efforts of all young people and not over-train the young people. Never exert undue influence over performers to obtain personal benefit or
- Be positive, approachable and offer praise to promote the objectives of the club at all
- Not let any allegations of abuse of any kind or poor practice to go unchallenged or unrecorded. Incidents and accidents to be recorded in the line with the club’s procedures. Parents will be
- Never use sanctions that humiliate or harm young people.
- Report accidents or incidents of alleged abuse or poor practice to the designated safeguarding officer.
- Administer minor first aid in the presence of others and where required refer more serious incidents to the club “first aider”.
- Have access to telephone for immediate contact to emergency services if
- Foster team work to ensure the safety of youth members in their
- Ensure the rights and responsibilities of youth members are
- Establish and address the additional needs of disabled participants or other vulnerable groups.
- Not abuse members physically, emotionally or
- Not engage in a sexual relationship with a young person for whom they are
- Maintain confidentiality about sensitive
- Respect and listen to the opinions of young
- Take time to explain coaching techniques to ensure they are clearly
- Develop an appropriate working relationship with participants, based on mutual trust and respect.
- Be a role model, displaying consistently high standard of behaviour and appearance (disciplined/committed/time keeping), remember children learn by
- Refrain from smoking and consumption of alcohol during club activities or coaching sessions.
- Never condone rule violations, rough play or the use of prohibited
- Not spend excessive amounts of time alone with children unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- Never taking children to their
- Not administer First Aid involving the removal of children’s clothing unless absolutely necessary and only if in the presence of others.
- Hold appropriate valid qualifications and insurance
- Make the sport/activity
Staff and volunteers have the right to:
- Access on-going training and information on all aspects of leading/managing activities for youths, particularly on
- Support in the reporting of suspected abuse or poor
- Access professional support
- Fair and equitable treatment by the governing body/club.
- Be protected from abuse by children/youths, other adult members and
- Not to be left vulnerable when working with
Any minor misdemeanours and general misbehaviour will be dealt with immediately and reported verbally to the designated person. Serious or persistent breach of the code will result in disciplinary action and could lead to dismissal from the club/sport.
Dismissals can be appealed by the coach/volunteer with final decisions taken by the club committee or referred to the governing body depending on the disciplinary procedures within the school/governing body.
Emergency action and first aid
All coaches, leaders and members should be prepared with an action plan in the event of an emergency and be aware of our First Aid Procedures.
|This will include:|
|◻ Access to First Aid equipment
◻ Telephone contact if the participant is a minor
◻ Telephone contact to the Emergency Services
Clubs should also contact their own governing body to ensure they incorporate their own specific guidelines.
|Signature of staff
|Print name of staff member/volunteer:|
|Signature of line manager:|
|Print name line manager:|